Friday, October 4, 2013

3 Recipes - One Can of Pumpkin

Have you ever made those super, easy pumpkin cookies that call for just a box of cake mix, a can of pumpkin and maybe some chocolate chips? They taste so incredibly good. They are moist, and sweet, and pumpkiny. And it is October, and I bought a can of pumpkin, and I was craving those cookies. But, I wanted a slightly healthier version. so, I did a search and came across this recipe. 
So, I took a look at the recipe and decided to do a little tweaking...and this is how I made them:

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies

2 cups of WW flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup quick oats
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup applesauce
2 tsp vanilla
1 cup pumpkin puree
1/2 cup chocolate chips

Mix it all together in a bowl and form balls of dough. Place on parchment paper and bake for 12 minutes at 350 degrees. I only made 12 cookies because I ate the rest of the dough as my lunch, but you could probably make 18-24 cookies with this recipe.

 And here is how they turned out. I was really happy with the results. The taste and texture is satisfying and I am happy with this healthier version of one of my favorite fall treats. However, this recipe did not use the full can of pumpkin. I could have just smudged the numbers and doubled the recipe to use the whole can, but instead I went a little crazy in my kitchen and use the other 3/4 of a cup of pumpkin to make two other treats...
 Here are some pumpkin brownies I made using 1/2 cup of pumpkin with a recipe from Chocolate Covered Katie. I love her blog. So many healthy recipes that also satisfy my sweet tooth.
And I also used the last 1/4 of a cup of pumpkin to make these pumpkin bars. Yet another Chocolate Covered Katie recipe.
 My kitchen was a disaster after the 3 recipe scramble, but all is back in order now! My favorite of the 3 recipes is definitely the cookies. My baby girl LOVED the pumpkin bars though. Honestly, I would have to give the brownies another try. I did some on the fly substitutions and am not too happy with the texture, but it still tastes good.
 And to complete my day, I made myself a cute Halloween piece of decor.
It goes perfectly on top of our TV armoire! Love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment