Thursday, September 12, 2013

The No-Poo Challenge

So, in my first ever blog post I talked about my dry shampoo recipe that came from this page: I don't use shampoo. The main focus of this gal's blog post isn't even dry shampoo, it is actually all about not using shampoo. Instead of shampoo she uses a mixture of baking soda and water. And, instead of conditioner, she uses a mixture of vinegar and water.

Be sure to check out her original blog post because she gives a ton of tips and important info, but her ingredients and basic instructions are listed here:

Baking Soda
Vinegar (White or Apple are fine)
Put one tablespoon of baking soda into a squeeze top bottle along with one cup of water. Shake until the baking soda is dissolved.
Combine 2 tablespoons of vinegar and a cup of water in a spray bottle. Shake.
What you do: Thoroughly rinse your hair with water. Add the baking soda mixture to your roots and massage thoroughly. You’ll notice a slightly slimy feel…kind of like shampoo. The baking soda breaks up any sort of residue buildup you may have from hairspray or other hair products. Thoroughly rinse the baking soda out of your hair.
Then spray in the vinegar mix through the length of your hair, paying special attention to your ends. Keep it in your hair throughout your shower until you’re about to get out.
Today I took this challenge and I would like to share my initial impression with you. I followed her ingredient list almost exactly. I used the baking soda and water mixture in a squeeze bottle (the one I got from the hospital after having my daughter that had, since my postpartum days, become a bath toy). And, I used the white vinegar mixture in a spray bottle I had left over from a dry shampoo experiment that was so impractical it is not worth discussing. I also added a couple drops of  grapefruit fragrance oil to the vinegar mixture just to make sure my hair wouldn't smell like vinegar afterwards. You could probably use a couple drops of essential oils as well. (If you don't know where to buy fragrance oil or essential oil, you can purchase some here. There is also a link to my Treasure Scents page on the top right of this blog where you can order some). 
Once I got out of the shower, I combed through my hair. Amanda (the one who wrote this recipe) said it takes a few minutes for her to de-tangle her hair without conditioner, but for me combing my hair wasn't any different. I'm not sure if this is because my hair is shorter (above my shoulders), finer (my hair is VERY fine) or because of the fragrance oil). Whatever it was, I am glad I did not have the de-tangling issue. 
After I combed and toweled off my hair, I styled it like normal. I use a little leave in conditioner, some stuff that is supposed to protect my hair from heat damage and a root booster for volume. I blow dry my hair and then straighten it. 


Once I was all done, I would say my hair looks and feels just like it does when I use regular shampoo and conditioner. It also doesn't smell weird. The most obvious smell is from my root booster, which is normal. I do think there is a little more volume/body (especially on the top of my head). 
So far, I am SOLD. This kind of hair cleaner is WAY cheaper than real shampoo/conditioner, and I love keeping my money in my pocket. And, with this method, you don't have to wash your hair as frequently and it may even help your hair grow faster/healthier. I think I will keep at it for 30 days and let you know if I still think it is a winner!
Now, I need to work on getting rid of those blemishes! I have heard tea tree oil can help. Maybe I will make that my next 30 day challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment