Monday, September 16, 2013

Home Remedy for Mosquito Bites

As many of you know, I am an independent distributor for Treasure Scents. In order to expand my customer base, I participate in an outdoor vendor market on Saturday nights at the Ak-Chin Multi-tainment Center. (It is the new state of the art movie theater with a bunch of other attractions just a short drive from home).

I have been at this market almost every Saturday night the last few weeks and most of the time, I don't even bother with bug repellent because the mosquitoes haven't been a problem. BUT, this past Saturday night, they were ALL over and they were HUNGRY! I had on an "all natural" mosquito repellent on and it did NOTHING. They were ruthless. There were multiple mosquitoes landing on me at any given time. Yikes!
Thankfully, someone took mercy on me and let me use their bug spray. Ya know, the kind with deet meant for deeply wooded areas. I sprayed myself like crazy  and finally got some relief but the damage had been done. On my right arm alone I had 10 mosquito bites, not to mention what they did to my other extremities. They seemed to especially enjoy my calves and my feet.

SO, last night, I awoke around 1:00 am itching like mad. I was desperate for some quick relief, so I did a search on my phone and came across this: http://www.home-remedy.org/home-remedies-for-mosquito-bites.html
This webpage lists 14 different home remedies to relieve mosquito bites. Below, I have shared the top 4 on the list.

Home Remedies For Mosquito Bites

Salt
This seems to be the quickest of all home remedies for mosquito bites. Simply moisten the bite area and then rub table salt on the moistened area. Itching should cease immediately.
Apple Cider Vinegar
To relieve the itching, rub apple cider vinegar directly on the mosquito bites.
Toothpaste
Toothpaste is another one of the fastest home remedies for mosquito bites. Just dab a bit of toothpaste onto the mosquito bites and the itching should stop very quickly. Peppermint toothpaste is by far the best.
Calamine Lotion
Apply calamine lotion to relieve the itching caused by mosquito bites.

As I lay there in the middle of the night I went through my options, the first two were possibilities since I have plenty of salt and vinegar in my kitchen pantry. Calamine lotion was our "go to" for itches when I was young, but I have never bought any as an adult, so that option was a bust. Toothpaste seemed a bit out there, but I had plenty right in my bathroom just a few feet away. Proximity was a strong factor in choosing my solution. So, I got up and proceeded to rub dabs of toothpaste onto ALL of my bites. I haven't been able to bring myself to count them, but it is probably in the 30-40 range. 

This is the toothpaste I used. Within a couple minutes I felt some relief and was able to fall back asleep. It looks like I need to buy some heavy duty bug spray before I spend more time outside, so that I can avoid late night toothpaste rub downs. What home remedies have you used to relieve itches or mosquito bites?

No comments:

Post a Comment